Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Today is the first of Veguary

Veg•u•ary (noun): Veguary refers to the second month of the year, in which those enthusiastic about fighting global warming, improving their health, or making a positive difference in the world commit to reducing or eliminating their meat intake.

www.veguary.org

How cool is this? A small group of committed vegs hoping to reduce meat intake by dedicating a month to a veg lifestyle...This is their second year doing this...I love this grass roots kind of stuff...It's so sincere and folksy...
This is another great site with the idea of encouraging people to make Monday meals meatless. 

www.meatlessmonday.com

I did post both these sites on my Facebook page and I emailed my family and friends links. I'm worried that I will come off as preachy or pushy...I think people  get turned off by that type of behavior..But how do you get others to rethink eating meat? How does one promote Veggyness without coming off as a jerk? I hoping my "lead by example" strategy works. By passing this Veg info along, I may have crossed that  self-righteous soapbox line... People can be so sensitive about this topic...I don't want to alienate people with attitude...I want them to willingly come over to the "Dark Side" ...lol...

Thanks for reading..
M xox

This curry is delicious and quick to prepare... For the lemongrass, I bought a stalk and smashed it before I added  it to the curry.. I don't see why you couldn't add cauliflower pieces, or green peas, or diced firm tofu...I served it over brown rice...Yum!  Enjoy...

Thai-Style Vegetable Curry
 
Ingredients:
1 large bunch broccoli
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 cups coconut milk
2 Tbs. tamari soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. dried lemongrass, finely ground
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/2 tsp. ground coriander seeds
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled & chopped
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, halved or quartered
1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
Directions:
  1. Cut florets from the broccoli stalks and cut each floret so that the top measures about 1 inch across; peel off the outer skin of the stalks and cut into 1/2-inch dice; set aside.
  2. Heat 1 Tbs. of water in a large pot (hint: using a pressure cooker will take half the time); cook garlic over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add the coconut milk, soy sauce, lemongrass, dried basil, spices, red pepper flakes, reserved broccoli stalks, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms.
  4. Over high heat, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; reduce heat, cover, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender (about 10 minutes).
  5. Stir in the broccoli florets and chickpeas; replace the lid and cook over medium heat until broccoli is tender-crisp (about 5 mintues).

No comments:

Post a Comment